Google Ads has character limits for various elements of an advertisement, including headline text, description text, and display URL text advertisers should carefully consider these limits when writing their advertisements and make sure that their message is clear and concise.
You will learn 3 main issues about Types of Keywords in this article:
- What Is the Character Limit for Each Field in Google Ads?
- How to Stay Within the Character Limits in Google Ads?
- How Does Responsive Search Ad Impact Your Campaigns?
What Is the Character Limit for Each Field in Google Ads?
The character limit for Google Text Ads is currently:
- 30 characters for each headline (of which you have the option to use 3)
- 90 characters for each description line (of which you have the option to use 2)
- 2 paths of 15 characters each
You can see how it looks like on mobile devices and desktops:
You can see an ad on the Search Network are shown above and below the Search Engine Results Page (SERP).
Responsive Search Ads:
Responsive search ads are a type of advertisement available in Google Ads that are designed to adapt to the search query and provide the most relevant information to the user. With responsive search ads, advertisers can provide multiple headlines and descriptions, and Google Ads will automatically generate combinations of headlines and descriptions to determine which ones perform best.
Here are some benefits of using responsive search ads:
- Increased relevance: Responsive search ads are designed to provide the most relevant information to the user, which can increase engagement and conversions.
- Improved ad performance: Google Ads uses machine learning algorithms to determine which combinations of headlines and descriptions perform best, which can result in improved ad performance and better results for advertisers.
- Increased ad flexibility: With responsive search ads, advertisers can provide multiple headlines and descriptions, which gives them the flexibility to target different keywords and audience segments.
- Streamlined ad creation: Responsive search ads simplify the ad creation process by automatically generating combinations of headlines and descriptions, which can save time and effort for advertisers.
You can see how Responsive Search Ad looks like in SERP:
Google ads currently have a character limit of 30 for headlines and 90 for description lines. This character limit is per line, so you can have multiple headlines and description lines in your ad. The recommended number of headlines is 15, and the recommended number of description lines is 4.
How to Stay Within the Character Limits in Google Ads?
When creating your ad, it’s essential to stay within the character limits to ensure maximum performance. For an expanded text ad, you can add up to two headlines of 30 characters each, a business name of 25, and up to two descriptions of 90 characters each. To ensure maximum performance, make sure your different headlines say something unique. Be informative, and spell out your value proposition to grab your audience’s attention.
It is important not to exceed these character limits offered by Google, but more importantly, is to use these character limits to the fullest. When Google offers such a usage area, highlighting the strengths and distinctive features of your product or service and making use of your keywords will increase your Quality Score in order to make the most of it. In this way, your ad can be at the top of the SERP, and click-through rates can be increased. A good click-through rate can help you control the budget and result in high conversions for clicks. As a result, Google increases your Quality Score and brings your ads to a more relevant audience.
However, Google Ad extensions also have a certain character limit. Google recommends adding 4 or more extensions to increase the Quality Score and make it easier for potential customers to find relevant content. These extensions mainly consist of sitelink, callout, structured snippet, and others suitable for advertisements such as location extensions, search extensions, and app extensions.
Sitelink character limit is 25 characters in most languages, or 12 characters in double-width languages like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Callout text is limited to 25 characters in most languages, or 12 characters in double-width languages like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Each snippet value has a 25-character limit. For mobile, it’s best to limit snippet text to less than 12 characters. Here is an example of a sitelink added when campaign creation Google Ads:
- A headline text containing the URL of the final address that users want to reach
- 2 description texts containing what it consists of the final address
How Does Adsbot Help You?
Adsbot helps you automate and optimize your campaigns in a minute. Get insights, alerts and smart recommendations with a single click. You will have full control on your account and focus on strategy. Start you free trial today and see Adsbot in action.